About Us / Product Details
Metta Mats is committed to making the world's most vibrant, highest performing, environmentally friendly yoga mats. We developed this product out of a deep respect for the practice of yoga and the value of art. Our mats aren't just about the art, they feature a surface material that we developed and perfected over the span of a few years. We make all of our mats in our own shop in Philadelphia, in a clean, air-conditioned, and happy work environment. Our goal is to fuse this art with yoga to help inspire openness, mindfulness, and growth throughout your practice.
We believe in supporting art and free expression. 25% of every sale goes directly towards each independent artist whose art is featured on the mat.
We believe in ethically sourced materials and sweat-shop free production. We purchase our production materials from companies with a good record of ethically sourced materials and we make each mat - as well as our other products - with our own hands in Philadelphia in a light-hearted and safe work environment. Each mat is from our hands to yours - We believe it's good to know where your products are made.
We believe in supporting independent content creators and we like to advertise by sponsoring yoga events and yoga content creators.
Our Metta Mats
Our mats are made with a natural tree rubber base and the artwork is printed on a layer of fabric adhered to the rubber. The fabric is then fully encased inside of an organic, environmentally-friendly material that protects the artwork, accentuates the colors, and has the perfect amount of grip. The grip surface has a supple, rubbery-but-dry feel that is very durable and easy to wash clean. We spent years developing this unique surface material for our mats.
Other Features of Note
- The surface has a supple, grippy texture that is completely waterproof. Sweat can easily be washed or rinsed right off the mat
- 5 lbs; 72” long; 24” wide; 4 mm thick
- The mat's base is made from natural tree-based rubber and the surface material is LEED certified, organic grip surface that is very durable.
- The dense natural rubber base is designed for joint protection and versatility on carpet, cement or hardwood floors. The bottom of the rubber is cast with a grid surface that prevents the mat from sliding on the floor.
- Latex and PVC free.
Use & Care
- To Store or Travel: Roll your Metta Mat image side facing outwards. Prolonged storage rolled inward will result in the edges curling, however this can be easily fixed by rolling the mat the other way.
- To Break In: No break in required for your Metta Mat, but you will notice the surface become a little "sticky" feeling with use, however no less grippy.
- To Clean: We recommend using any organic household cleaner and a damp cotton cloth or sponge to simply wipe down. Diluted Vinegar is an excellent cleaner. DO NOT USE BLEACH. You can also easily rinse the mat off with a hose or spray bottle or wipe dry with a cloth.
- DO NOT PUT it in the washing machine. Please hang or air dry. Avoid prolonged exposure to sunlight. DO NOT DRY in a machine drier. Avoid scratching or scrubbing your Metta Mats surface with anything abrasive or sharp.
- Please note that you should not use essential oils to clean your mat - they will not damage the surface, but the oil that stays on the mat will create a thin oil-slick that will lessen the grip.
- If you are ever unsure of a cleaning method, feel free to contact us for the best recommendations and advice for cleaning.